Sam (
l33tminion) wrote2026-08-31 06:54 pm
Entry tags:
Somerville Primary 2026
Okay I'm double-posting here but talking elections seems more useful before the election.
The primary election is tomorrow, and this is particularly relevant because: 1. There are an unusual number of statewide vacancies in my area this time around. 2. The Democratic primary is basically the election for many of these because it's Somerville, Massachusetts and Republicans would be hard-pressed to win a runoff against burnt toast.
US Senator - Markey: It's a bit aggravating that Markey isn't stepping back at the age of 80 and is instead running for another six-year terms. But he's a staunch progressive and I prefer him over the challenger.
State Senator - Burham Azeem, State Representative - Ben Ewan-Campen: The former is the Vice Mayor of Cambridge, the latter is a Somerville city councilor. Both got Somerville YIMBY's endorsement. Very strong candidates, and I like Azeem's ambition on transit in particular.
Governor's Council - Baylis: The Governor's Council in MA reviews and approves judicial appointments, pardons, and commutations. This year I'm planning to support the challenger. I think her immigration law experience will be valuable, and I'm influenced by the endorsement of Somerville's mayor and the Somerville DCC.
Middlesex DA - Solett: Both candidates seem good, but after looking at discussion and endorsements (Sollett sure has attracted a wide set of endorsements), I think I favor the challenger this time.
The primary election is tomorrow, and this is particularly relevant because: 1. There are an unusual number of statewide vacancies in my area this time around. 2. The Democratic primary is basically the election for many of these because it's Somerville, Massachusetts and Republicans would be hard-pressed to win a runoff against burnt toast.
US Senator - Markey: It's a bit aggravating that Markey isn't stepping back at the age of 80 and is instead running for another six-year terms. But he's a staunch progressive and I prefer him over the challenger.
State Senator - Burham Azeem, State Representative - Ben Ewan-Campen: The former is the Vice Mayor of Cambridge, the latter is a Somerville city councilor. Both got Somerville YIMBY's endorsement. Very strong candidates, and I like Azeem's ambition on transit in particular.
Governor's Council - Baylis: The Governor's Council in MA reviews and approves judicial appointments, pardons, and commutations. This year I'm planning to support the challenger. I think her immigration law experience will be valuable, and I'm influenced by the endorsement of Somerville's mayor and the Somerville DCC.
Middlesex DA - Solett: Both candidates seem good, but after looking at discussion and endorsements (Sollett sure has attracted a wide set of endorsements), I think I favor the challenger this time.
