Sam (
l33tminion) wrote2026-10-13 10:26 pm
Keep Digging
Was up to a lot this weekend.
HONK! and Harvard Square Octoberfest were great as always. Made a trip to the craft store, Erica is starting to work on a Halloween costume.
Saturday evening, I went with Julie to see Digger. Phenomenal movie, go see it in theaters preferably with a minimum of spoilers (though I wouldn't say any amount of knowledge about it makes it not worth it). On the face of it, the movie is an over-the-top satirical comedy about an oil tycoon trying to manage a disaster. And it is that, but the marketing certainly keeps a lot for the film itself. The film is a Doctor Strangelove for the 2020s. Don't Look Up is an obvious compare and contrast, though not nearly as remarkable; I somehow found this movie both more and less hopeful.
Monday, I saw Forgotten Island with Erica. That had really great animation and a fun, original story. Manang is a pretty terrifying antagonist for something with a PG rating.
And I'm really looking forward to seeing Wildwood when that comes out. Unusual for me to be excited about seeing so many movies in theaters in short order, I've really fallen out of the habit of going to the movies.
I upgraded my decade-old XBox and started playing Hi-Fi Rush, a stylish and fun rhythm brawler.
I've been enjoying the new Magic set a lot, too. Reality Fracture, where one of Magic's most prominent protagonists has his heel turn, convinced he can fix all that's wrong in the universe by taking just a little off the top, and when he's done all the wrongs along the way will be as if they never happened at all. As a limited set, it's a patient one with a lot of card advantage. I've had a lot of fun playing sealed, with some of the usual trash card-pools, but in my first sealed match I had a Jace The Theorist and somehow managed five victories in a row after going 2-2 the first games. And in my latest pool I had angry Ajani (by far the best card in the set, never failed to win the game after casting it, sometimes by the card itself swiftly closing out the game, sometimes by the opponent instantly conceding the moment it hit the board) and again went 7-2. I also had asymmetrical board-wipe Kindred Judgment in that deck, featuring prominently in a long and suspenseful last game where both players (my opponent and then later I) cast it, both sparing one of our own creatures by naming "homonculus".
HONK! and Harvard Square Octoberfest were great as always. Made a trip to the craft store, Erica is starting to work on a Halloween costume.
Saturday evening, I went with Julie to see Digger. Phenomenal movie, go see it in theaters preferably with a minimum of spoilers (though I wouldn't say any amount of knowledge about it makes it not worth it). On the face of it, the movie is an over-the-top satirical comedy about an oil tycoon trying to manage a disaster. And it is that, but the marketing certainly keeps a lot for the film itself. The film is a Doctor Strangelove for the 2020s. Don't Look Up is an obvious compare and contrast, though not nearly as remarkable; I somehow found this movie both more and less hopeful.
Monday, I saw Forgotten Island with Erica. That had really great animation and a fun, original story. Manang is a pretty terrifying antagonist for something with a PG rating.
And I'm really looking forward to seeing Wildwood when that comes out. Unusual for me to be excited about seeing so many movies in theaters in short order, I've really fallen out of the habit of going to the movies.
I upgraded my decade-old XBox and started playing Hi-Fi Rush, a stylish and fun rhythm brawler.
I've been enjoying the new Magic set a lot, too. Reality Fracture, where one of Magic's most prominent protagonists has his heel turn, convinced he can fix all that's wrong in the universe by taking just a little off the top, and when he's done all the wrongs along the way will be as if they never happened at all. As a limited set, it's a patient one with a lot of card advantage. I've had a lot of fun playing sealed, with some of the usual trash card-pools, but in my first sealed match I had a Jace The Theorist and somehow managed five victories in a row after going 2-2 the first games. And in my latest pool I had angry Ajani (by far the best card in the set, never failed to win the game after casting it, sometimes by the card itself swiftly closing out the game, sometimes by the opponent instantly conceding the moment it hit the board) and again went 7-2. I also had asymmetrical board-wipe Kindred Judgment in that deck, featuring prominently in a long and suspenseful last game where both players (my opponent and then later I) cast it, both sparing one of our own creatures by naming "homonculus".
